Dear PEN Members and Supporters:
As our 10th year draws to a close, I would like to offer a special heartfelt thank you to PEN Founder Dewey Rosetti and the original Board Members and Advisors of PEN who conceived of, and brought to life, this unique organization. I still remember our first conference focused on Demystifying Learning Disabilities. Over 300 parents and educators showed up which helped us recognize that there was a community of people with similar experiences who desired knowledge and connection.
It is simply astonishing for me to think that 10 years have flown by while we have been working together. Yet, as I talk with other families, organizations and foundations throughout the country about PEN, I feel tremendously proud of how our community has come together to support students with learning and attention differences and what we have been able to accomplish.
Among PEN’s activities this year were:
- Speaker Series. Presented 12 Speaker Series events to over 1,500 attendees.
- Professional Development. Hosted three Professional Development workshops with nationally-renowned speakers, including Rick Lavoie.
- Early Childhood. Held two early childhood education presentations focused on finding a school that is the right match and understanding sensory issues in the classroom.
- Parent Meetings. Organized two parent meetings which provided a forum for parents to connect with and support each other.
- SAFE. Piloted a SAFE chapter serving students on the Peninsula, while continuing the ever successful San Francisco branch.
- SAFE Panels. Conducted 11 SAFE student panels and presentations.
- School Liaison Program. Reinstituted the liaison program where each month over 50 volunteers shared information at Bay Area schools ensuring information about PEN is available to parents, educators and students.
- San Francisco Unified. Received grant funding to underwrite PEN membership to select San Francisco high schools, allowing us to work directly with students and educators in those schools to encourage their involvement in SAFE and EdRev.
This remarkable year culminated in another amazing, celebratory day at EdRev 2013, which this year featured internationally known speakers Sir Ken Robinson and Dr. L. Todd Rose, 100+ exhibitors, a student Art Gallery, 14 workshops, Student Celebration and 2,000 attendees at AT&T Park.
We recognize that these numerous and noteworthy accomplishments only took place through the dedication and support of the PEN community and supporters like you. We offer you our grateful thanks and warmest wishes for a joyous summer. I hope you are able to enjoy the freedom this time of year brings and can spend some time appreciating your kids, what they are good at and what they are passionate about. Their gifts are plentiful.
PS. Please be sure to share your PEN memories and thanks with us so that we may include them in our 10-year anniversary book as a gift to PEN Founder Dewey Rosetti. Just use the contact form to send your message!