Parents Education Network is a coalition of parents collaborating with educators, students and the community to empower and bring academic success to students with learning and attention differences.
We are a grassroots organization with national impact, founded in 2003 by a group of parents whose children have learning and attention differences, and who individually struggled to find the information, services, and expertise to help their children succeed academically. We did not want other parents to experience the isolation and frustration they encountered. We came to believe strongly that parents and educators must work collaboratively to help children with LD understand their individual strengths .
What we believe
- The child suffers if the parent-school relationship is adversarial instead of collaborative.
- Understanding learning and attention differences, as experienced in the context of the classroom and the home, is the key to a good partnership between the school, parents and students.
- Parents can't teach educators; parents must teach other parents, and educators other educators.
- A strength-based approach at school and home is most effective in helping students reach their full potential.
What we want to achieveWe aim to ignite an education revolution across the country that will acknowledge, appreciate and effectively teach all students, including those with learning and attention differences by:
- Increasing awareness, knowledge, understanding and appreciation of the strengths and challenges facing students with learning and attention differences through education and collaboration of parents, students, teachers and the community.
- Promoting a strength-based, research-driven approach that benefits all students, in the classroom and at home.
- Empowering students with learning and attention differences to reach their full potential.
What do we do?
Who runs PEN?
Who are our professional advisors?
Which local schools are committed to working with us?
Search our website!
Parents Education Network does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.